The Education News Weekly Roundup is brought to you by Holly Trippett, the Public Relations Intern at Citizen Schools and a senior at Emerson College studying Marketing Communications. Citizen Schools News:
- Charlotte Chamber - 1/26/12 – Bob About Town Visits Citizen Schools – Charlotte Chamber President Bob Morgan visited MLK Middle School last week while students were preparing for their 6 Degrees of Charlotte interviews. He was able to talk to a few students about how they are preparing for the event.
- East Durham Children’s Initiative – 1/27/12 – What is EDCI? – A video featuring Jill Ullman, the Development Director of Citizen Schools North Carolina, is featured on the landing page of the EDCI website.
- The Charlotte Observer: South Charlotte News – 1/29/12 - Event Helps At-Risk Students Network, Succeed – The Citizen Schools’ 6 Degrees of Charlotte networking event is featured in this article.
- TED Charlotte- 1/31/12 – Citizen Schools Connects 8th Grade Students to Local Professionals – The 6 Degrees of Charlotte is featured in this article written by Abby Whisenant, the Executive Assistant & Communications Associate of Citizen Schools North Carolina.
- Thread Square – 2/1/12 – Sewing for Citizen Schools – Citizen Schools was mentioned in this blog post that describes a recent sewing class that took place with Citizen Schools students.
- The Harvard Crimson – 2/1/12 – How to Grow STEM – Article mentions Google’s support of Citizen Schools STEM initiatives.
- The Boston College Chronicle – 2/2/12 – GSSW, Capstone Launch Social Innovation Effort – Citizen Schools and Eric Schwarz, CEO and co-founder of Citizen Schools, are mentioned in this article that discusses a recent forum at Boston College where Eric spoke.
Education Stories and News:
- Education Week: Digital Education (Blog) – 1/26/12 – School of One Creators Unveil New Nonprofit – New Classroom Innovation Partners will launch middle school math programs in three cities including Chicago and Perth Amboy, NJ under the name “Teach to One: Math.”
- The New York Times – 1/30/12 – The Great Divorce – Article discusses Charles Murray’s new book “Coming Apart” that looks at how America is dividing into a two-caste society.
- USA Today – 2/1/12 – Obama Wants Schools to Speed Digital Transition – Story that discusses Obama’s plan to have an e-textbook in every student’s hand by 2017.
- The Washington Post – 1/29/12 – Is College Not For Poor Kids? - Article discusses a list used by the College Success Foundation to help disadvantaged students prepare for college and graduation.