The Education News Weekly Roundup is brought to you by Holly Trippett, the Public Relations Intern at Citizen Schools and a senior at Emerson College studying Marketing Communications. Citizen Schools News:
- National Center on Time and Learning – 3/13/12 – A National Movement: Expanding Learning Time – A video about ELT that features Eric Schwarz as well as other education thought leaders.
- Campbell Patch – 3/19/12 – You Scream, Ice Cream for One Campbell School Today – Last week, ice cream sales at a Campbell creamery benefited Citizen Schools.
- Harvard Graduate School of Education – 3/21/12 – Harvard EdCast: Becoming a Good Citizen – Eric Schwarz, co-founder and CEO of Citizen Schools, spoke to Harvard EdCast (a weekly podcast series of interviews with thought leaders in education) and discussed ELT, the roles of service in education, and the National Teaching Fellow deadline. Recent interviews have included Arne Duncan, Oprah Winfrey, and David Brooks.
- Herald Sun – 3/21/12 - State schools chief celebrates TFA – This article mentions Citizen Schools as part of school turnaround effort.
- CBS 60 Minutes – 3/4/12 – Redshirting: Holding Kids Back from Kindergarten – Interesting video from earlier this month on the rising trend of “redshirting,” delaying kindergarten for children until they are 6 to put them ahead in school.
- CBS News – 3/19/12 – Report: US Makes Modest Gains in Graduation Rate – Graduation rates have improved due to aggressive efforts to prevent students from dropping out.
- The Atlantic – April 2012 – Meet the New Boss – A feature on Rahm Emanuel and the road ahead for reform in Chicago.
- New York Times – 3/23/12 – The relationship school – A column by David Brooks on The New American Academy in NY.