The Writing Program is the cornerstone of Eighth Grade Academy. Students receive 1:1 tutoring in the Writing Program, develop 21st century skills in the Apprenticeship program, navigate a rigorous high school choice process, and attend weekend college visits. Every element of 8GA is focused on providing students with access to a variety of college and career pathways and building students’ academic and professional skills to ensure they are prepared for high school, college, and career.
Through the Writing Program, students receive personalized academic support, connect with a mentor from the Greater Boston community, and develop the skills they’ll need to successfully transition to high school next year.
Become a Writing Program Coach
As a Writing Program Coach, you will Mentor and tutor a Citizen School 8GA student as they make the transition from middle school to high school.
90 min bi-weekly meetings, September through May
- High school application essays, personal statements, persuasive arguments, and more
- Develop students networking skills, resume and cover letter writing, business card development, and more
- Share your personal and professional journey, lived experiences, and advice
Join a Writing Program Team
Across Greater Boston, Citizen Schools partner organizations are hosting teams of 8GA students at their offices for the Writing Program. Join your company’s team or another partner organization. Options include:
Bain & Company Office
131 Dartmouth Street, Boston
4 Copley Place, Boston
State Street Channel Center Office
1 Iron Street, Boston
State Street Downtown Office
1 Lincoln Street, Boston
226 Causeway Street, Boston
Mintz Levin Law Offices
One Financial Center, Boston
Citizen Schools HQ
308 Congress Street, Boston
Citizen Schools Support
You’re never alone when you serve as a Writing Program Coach. Citizen Schools is there every step of the way to ensure you and your 8GA student have a successful year.
- New Coach Onboarding - Hosted at Citizen Schools HQ, learn about the communities we serve, working with middle school students, our philosophy of instruction, and more.
- Writing Program Team Orientation - Hosted at your Writing Program Team location. Meet your fellow Coaches and your AmeriCorps 8GA Team Leader.
- 8GA Team Leader - Travels with students each week, prepares Writing Program objectives, agenda, and materials, provides updates on student progress, and more.