Apply to be a Teaching Associate
Citizen Schools partners with public middle schools in low income communities by adding three hours to the end of the school day, giving students access to three major curricula: hands-on, engaging academic lessons that reinforce learning from the traditional school day, a robust college access and readiness program that focuses on what students need to do right now to make college an option for them, and our signature program element, apprenticeships. Apprenticeships are semester-long hands-on learning projects taught by volunteer professionals from the community, exploring whatever topic they are passionate about, from law to spoken word poetry to robotics.
Teaching Associates are a critical part of the Citizen Schools team, and join members of the National Teaching Fellowship to deliver a high quality expanded day.
Teaching Associate Responsibilities:
- Customize and deliver hands-on, engaging curriculum in Math and/or English Language Arts
- Partner with volunteers to create and facilitate two high quality apprenticeships per semester
- Inspire students to set and achieve ambitious academic and personal goals
- Partner with families, colleagues, and school staff to support student growth and hold students to consistently high expectations
- Create opportunities for students that strengthen the connection between academic success, college, and career.
- Collect and track student data in order to made decisions for individual students and the program
- Create and reinforce a culture of achievement and the idea that hard work + opportunity = success
- Build and leverage relationships with students, families, volunteers, peers, and the school community
- Plan and manage logistics for events both on- and off-campus
What we offer Teaching Associates:
- Medical and Dental coverage available
- Flexible Spending: pre-tax
- Supplemental Benefits: Life, Short Term Disability, Pet Insurance, Vision, Auto and Home Insurance
- Time Off: Spring (Jan – May) 20 hrs; Summer (June – Aug) 25 hrs; Fall (Sept – Dec) 15 hrs
- Receive ongoing coaching and feedback from committed leaders in education and education reform
- Participate in high quality training, beginning with pre-service training in August, followed by monthly in-service training events and ongoing professional development events
- Network with professionals in every major sector, including tech, law, finance, and higher education
- Build skills in data analysis, volunteer management, lesson plan development, and professional communication
Teaching Associate Qualifications:
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Citizen Schools’ mission
- Academic skills – proficiency in middle school math and English
- Coaching skills and ability to provide and receive constructive feedback
- Commitment to teamwork and collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Ability to build relationships and influence students, colleagues, and community members
- Outstanding communication skills
- Strong detail orientation, time management, and organization skills
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred, or be in pursuit of one
- Spanish skills a plus
- Embodiment of Citizen Schools’ values: Pride, Joy, Respect, Courage, Teamwork, Perseverance, and Vision
Citizen Schools operates in eight regions (states), and in some regions, we operate in multiple cities or school districts. The needs and required qualifications for each region, city, or school are different. In order to apply for a particular state/city/district, start with this application, and then you will have the opportunity to apply to a specific place.
Successful applicants for the Teaching Associate position will participate in four rounds of selection: online application, short phone interview, a short project, and a final interview.
To be considered for the Teaching Associate position, all candidates must apply through this online application; resumes will not be accepted via email or post.
Questions? Click here to learn more about your region’s Recruitment Manager.
Thanks for applying–and good luck!
Citizen Schools is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, cultural heritage, ancestry, political belief, age, marital status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability or veteran status. Citizen Schools is compliant with the American with Disabilities Act and we are committed to making special accommodations for your interview or work as a Team Leader. If specific accommodations are needed, please notify the hiring manager and we are happy to make any necessary arrangements to meet your needs.