Students learn to build vehicles using resources like paper,rubber bands and alternative energy like wind power.
WOW! Project: Students present their alternative energy vehicles through a competitive race and explain about their creation and testing with alternative forms of energy, to parents and guests.
See it in action
- Week 1
- Introduction, teamwork, design notebooks, problem solving, vocabulary, ground rules & design challenges
- Week 2
- Build vehicle, principles – friction, motion, overcoming inertia, energy and power, design review
- Week 3
- Rebuild and redesign, alternative energy, engines, how to power (linear to rotary motion) & race
- Week 4
- Build a hover craft – overcoming friction, control, constraints, materials, vehicle design options
- Week 5
- Building prototypes of other vehicles – magnetics, water, solar, springs, weights & testing small types
- Week 6
- Exploration of power options & design of body – materials, strength, stiffness, load to carry, proposal and plan to build
- Week 7
- Begin building – testing and redesigning
- Week 8
- Continue building and redesign
- Week 9
- Final Testing, final touches and improvements for WOW!
- Week 10
- Practice for engineering students, critiques and help